DIY {shower curtain turned curtain}

i mentioned here that i was having a hard time finding curtains for my dinning room.  i wanted something fun with a large print in the colors of my choice.  I needed them to be 98″ which is really hard to come by.  Curtains are usually something like 81″ or 108″.  I had checked out Ikea since you can buy curtains super long and hem them to your desired length but even they didn’t have anything i really liked in the colors i wanted.  On a recent trip with my mom we stopped in Kohls. i was wondering through their linen department when i noticed they had all these really fun shower curtains.  i decided to pick this one up for the dinning room.

Again, too short but i liked the print so much that i decided to buy it.  here it is 2 months later and i finally got around to making them into curtains!

I went through my fabric stash and grabbed anything i thought could work with the print in the curtains.  I didn’t have a complete master plan, i was just going to wing it and work with what i had.

I set everything up on my new kitchen island, put the ipad to the newest episode of the Tudors i had on my que and got busy.  on a side note~ if you’ve never watched the Tudors you. need. to.  put it in your que stat!!  it is one great show!

i cut the shower curtain in half length wise. these would be my two panels.  lucky for me there was a seem straight down the middle from it being so nice and neatly folded in the package!

Next, i play around with my stash fabric, immediately got rid of the teal fabric, it just wasn’t the right color.  i decided to use the white waffle weave shower curtain. i liked the neutral color and the texture playing off the bold flower pattern.  i measured how much fabric i would need to match the width and desired length of the flower fabric.  I was careful to cut the white curtain using the existing hems so i could match those up to the existing hems of the flower fabric.  it saved me some time!  don’t forget to allow for your seam allowances when you are determining the fabric measurements.

i sewed the white panels to the flower panels.  and then decided to use the polka-dot men’s shirt and make 1 1/2″ strips of fabric to make a ruffle.  I used the back of the men’s shirt for this part.  i then attached the ruffles to the seam where the two panels of fabric met.

here is the finished product:

don’t mind the stack of frames on the floor-the are finding a home soon!

a close up of the ruffle.  there are two rows of thread going down the ruffle.  one is the line you use to make the actual ruffle and the other is the seam connecting the 3 pieces together.  you should easily be able to pull the thread out of the one used to make the ruffle.

this project took me about 3 hours to complete.  it wouldn’t have taken as long if i already planned the design but sometimes that’s part of the fun is letting the project take on a life of it’s own!

happy Monday!

Sarah

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “DIY {shower curtain turned curtain}

  1. Aweome! I have a set of patio doors to my deck and I have not been successful in finding something I like. I may hire you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s